Guest Bedroom #1
The Living Room
The Breakfast Area
The Dining Room
Before (previous owners).
Emptied out, with our junk piled in the corners. Installed a half-circular shade so the neighbors can’t look in and see what a complete mess we’ve made of the house.
Tore out the carpet, filled the room up with junk.
Installed a new light fixture.
Painted the ceiling.
Painted the walls.
Extra furniture out.
New dining set. (Found the one I wanted on Craigslist for half its selling price even during a World Market furniture sale. Score!)
Temporary curtains. Added a buffet.
Spent months searching for curtains in the right fabric, length, and color.
Declared price no object and still didn’t find what I wanted.
Discovered that for some reason I had a pair of white cotton Ikea panels lying around.
Dyed them. (Sunshine Orange)
They turned the color of a highlighter.
Dyed them again. (Cherry Red + Tan + a touch of navy blue)
I like the light fixture and folks always compliment it when they see it, but it distributed light rather harshly so I decided to add a diffuser. After searching online and discovering that lamp shades this large would have put me out several hundred dollars, I found this blog and made my own! I am very pleased with the result. Not only is the light now less harsh and more inviting, but the lampshade serves to direct a considerable amount more light downward toward the table, too. (FYI: Instead of adding fabric to the bottom of my lampshade I left it open so that dust won’t collect inside it.)
Before: outdated and full of oak. And oh-so-yellow all over.
The evil that lurked overhead, in the process of removal.
Look at all that headroom now!
Removed the wallpaper border. Installed some pendant lights and a few can lights.
Painted the ceiling (and other things, with help)
Ripped out the tile floors
This is what the house looked like while the new concrete overlay floors were being installed. The first step in the process was to sand the existing floor down to smooth it out, and the process kicked up so much concrete dust that we’ll be cleaning it out of corners and crevices for a long time.
And a close-up.
My favorite handyman, hard at work.
Picked up some antique seltzer bottles for a great price on Craigslist and added a copper pan I scored on sale from an etsy shop.
B primed the first bank of cabinets for painting.
Starting on the second bank of cabinets.
New granite countertops!
And a new sink and faucet!
I started work on the stone backsplash. After months of online (and in-store) shopping I finally decided on Botticino tile. When we started planning our kitchen remodel I was against having an all-white kitchen but when it came time to select tile I opted again to go with a white theme with dark accents (still to come.) So far I’m really pleased with how much brighter the kitchen feels.
Bit by bit.
The blank slate.
First, a new ceiling fan.
Bye-bye, light switch covers and 14 years of wall damage by two teenage boys.
Next, some fresh white paint for the ceiling.
Then some new paint for the walls. And some more paint for the walls, for the spots where our late-night painting efforts didn’t quite do the job the first time.
Then throw some junk in the room because there’s not room for it elsewhere.
Move that junk out and other junk in. Oh, and repaint the walls since in the evening light that other paint color turned out a strange shade of booger green.
Moving back in.
Before we moved in.
Removed the wallpaper border, added a pendant light.
Removed the tile floor and began the painting process.
New floors. Painted walls.
Added a new breakfast table.
Mirror…installed! Next I need to select some bright patterned curtains for this window to add a touch of color.
(Notice the dog puddles on the ground and all the floor mats I’ve always got scattered throughout this area in a desperate effort to keep the dogs from dunking their faces then spilling all their water all over the floor.)
Whipped up some curtains from a shower curtain I found at Target.